Partner Visa Services

Your partner with you in Australia.


Types of partner visas:

Married / Engaged / De facto – the best type of partner visa application for you depends on your relationship type and where you are when you apply for the visa.

Partner visa applicants must be sponsored by an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Partners are normally granted a temporary visa first.  Two years after applying they are eligible to be considered for the permanent visa.


Applicants who are married

  • Your marriage must be recognised as valid in the country in which your marriage took place.
  • The marriage must be genuine and ongoing.
  • You must also be older than 18 and not a close relative of your partner.
  • Same-sex marriages are recognised in Australia and same-sex couples can apply for this visa based on their marriage or their de facto relationship.


Applicants in a de facto relationship

  • Gernerally, de facto relationships must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before an applicant applies for a partner visa.
  • Time spent dating does not count towards a de facto relationship.
  • You can be granted a visa without having been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months if:-
    • You can demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as having dependent children
    • your de facto relationship has been registered in Australia (this is not available in all Australian States and Territories)
  • You must be older than 18 and not a close relative of your partner.


To fully prepare and manage your partner visa application, we:

      • Gather detailed information from you about your personal situation and your relationship, advise you on your partner visa options and the best option for you.
      • Prepare your application thoroughly and properly from the start. That’s highly preferable to trying to fix problems that may arise later.
      • Identify any weaknesses in your application and advise you on how to overcome them.
      • If you are in a de facto relationship, we will advise you if registering your relationship is possible.
      • Work with you and your partner to write your statements about the history of your relationship.  We guide you on what to include. When finished, we make your statements into Statutory Declarations that are part of your application.
      • Make recommendations to you on the content of your Statutory Declarations – what to emphasise, what to include, what not to include – everything must be true.
      • Proof read the Statutory Declarations of the witnesses to your relationship (we recommend six or more if possible). We advise on their content and how they could be strengthened – everything must be true.
      • Work with you and assist you to gather all the evidence of your relationship that will need to be provided to support your application – there is a lot of evidence required for a strong application.
      • Advise and guide you on your supporting evidence documents – what’s needed? are they correct? are they adequate?
      • Provide you with a four-page document we have created and refined over our years of preparing partner visa applications that lists the types of evidence that can be used and how to obtain it – there is some very useful potential evidence that you may be able to get and you may never have thought of.
      • Complete the temporary and permanent partner visa online application forms for you. 
      • Complete your Form 80 ‘character’ form.
      • Prepare your documentation for your health examination.
      • Advise you on the police records checks you and your sponsor will need to obtain, and how to obtain them.
      • Write a detailed submission in support of your application – to persuade the case officer to grant the visa to you.
      • Double-check your supporting documents.
      • Prepare your partner’s online visa sponsorship application.
      • Lodge your visa application and your partner’s visa sponsorship application with the Department of Immigration along with all supporting documents and evidence.
      • Organise your payment of the government’s visa application charge.
      • Advise you when your application has been lodged and provide you with the lodgement receipt.
      • If relevant, advise you of your Bridging Visa status after the application has been lodged, your work rights and Medicare rights. (for onshore partner visa applicants)
      • We are the Department of Immigration’s contact right through until the decision on your temporay partner visa application is received – we represent you for this entire processing period, which can be up to 2 years or more.
      • Coordinate all communication with the Department, track the progress of your application and keep you advised of any requests for further information from the case officer. 
      • Prepare you for your interview with the Immigration department (some, but not all, partner visa applicants are interviewed).
      • Advise you immediately there is a decision on your application.


Immigration lawyer Ross McDougall will personally complete the work on your visa application from beginning to end. Your case will not be dealt with by a junior or an assistant.


The visa stream for partners applying from inside Australia is:

  • (subclass 820, partner, temporary) → (subclass 801, partner, permanent)


The two visa streams for partners applying from outside Australia are:

  • Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300, fiancé(e), temporary) → (subclass 820, partner, temporary) → (subclass 801, partner, permanent)
  • Partner visa (subclass 309, partner, temporary) → (subclass 100, partner, permanent)

Fiancé(e)’s granted a subclass 300 visa must enter Australia and marry their sponsor within nine months. They then lodge an application for a partner visa in Australia.

Those applying for a subclass 309 visa must be their partner’s spouse or de facto (or intending to marry their partner) at the time the application is lodged.  By the time of decision on the application, those intending to marry must have married.


Our fixed-price fee to represent you in:


A partner visa application is $5,990

We fully prepare and lodge your application for both the temporary and the permanent partner visas and your Australian partner’s visa sponsorship application.

We manage your application and continuously represent you right through to receiving the immigration Department’s decision on your temporary partner visa application.


A prospective marriage (engaged) visa is $4,990

We fully prepare, lodge and manage your application for your prospective marriage visa and your Australian fiance(e)’s visa sponsorship application.

We continuously represent you right through to receiving the Immigration Department’s decision on your prospective marriage visa application.


Our fee can be paid over time in two payments of 50% each.